Monday, August 3, 2009

July 31 - First Meeting with Supervisor

July 31, 2009 was my first F2F meeting with PhD Supervisor, Dr KAC.

Research Title: Usability Evaluation Tool for Mobile Learning Applications.
Area of Research: Mobile Learning, e-Learning.

I had earlier emailed her some pieces of info forming part of the PhD Proposal.
- Schematic diagram.
- Research Questions, Contribution to Knowledge, Objectives & Deliverables.
- Research Planning (process flowchart showing timeline and activities).
- Gantt Chart showing the research planning.

By email earlier, she had suggested about...Developing an "instrument" for usability.
- Initially, my Research Title was "Usability Inspection Criteria for Mobile Learning Applications."
- In my heart, I agreed to her suggestion, as I love to design and develop. It would be develop to develop an instructment / a tool / a method which could be used.
- Hence, my new Research Title was changed to "Usability Inspection Tool for Mobile Learning Applications."

She had given me some input.
- Structured Equation Modeling - a popular statistical method. She personally used this for her PhD research.
- For PhD proposal.....Literature Review...write down in Outline first => Supervisor check => Write in detail.
- Problem statement......important that there is a research Gap to be fulfilled.
- Descriptive Statistics alone is often deemed to be insufficient. Also need to use Inferential Statistics.
- Important to use the correct & suitable Statistical Method to answer the Research Question, rather than follow the popular method (e.g. ANOVA).

Supervisor said she would like to have Dr HSH to be the Co-Supervisor as they could easily work along. (Of course, that's great. He taught me before.)

No comments:

Post a Comment