Sunday, July 26, 2009

July 26 - PhD thesis of Ryu and Trifonova

I found Ryu's PhD theses to be in stategic usefulness to my future PhD research.
Young Sam Ryu did "Development of Usability Questionnaires for Electronic Mobile Products and Decision Making Methods."

Usability Questionnaire is one type of UET (usability evaluation tool). Electronic mobile products in his thesis are wireless mobile devices. Mobile learning is done using wireless mobile devices. So, there is stategic usefulness and alliance to my propose research.

I think I could also refer to lots of references on Usability that he quoted. He tends to concentrate on a few authors namely Keinonen, Ketola, Kirakowski, Nielsen, Saaty, Shackle, and ISO standards. He loved to focus on usability dimensions (what I would call usability categories in my MeL project dissertation). He picked his usability criteria (for his study/research) from referred sources, namely SUMI, QUEST, PUTQ, QUIS, PSSUQ, Keinonen, Kwakh, Lindholm, Jordan, Szuc, Kolckar, and researcher (himself).

I find that Ryu had done his research systematically, phase by phase, very much me who has planned out the research too. He had also documented his PhD in a good flow (according to his phases). I find this this to be a good benchmark.

Subsequently, I opened up Trifonova's PhD thesis. I have Trifonova name rather frequently, so that's why her thesis appealed to me.

Anna Trifonova did PhD thesis of "MOBILE LEARNING: WIRELESS AND MOBILE ECHNOLOGIES IN EDUCATION TOWARDS HOARDING CONTENT IN M-LEARNING CONTEXT ."

Hoarding content is important as the wireless mobile device would often go offline. I think this should be a Usability Criteria. Good lead!!

Trifonova had numerous research objectives which seems to be multi-directional. As I browsed through, I did not see her Research Questions; may be she did not have. This PhD thesis seemed to be done using Case Study method....writing about her experiences on hoarding and Mobile ELDIT, and incorporating some other Mobile Learning-related research/studies.
Not much statistical analysis...apart from demographics analysis...only simple stat like percentages.

She 's not a visual thinker....only a few graphs/charts, diagram.....did i see any table??? Ryu, on the other hand, loves to make use of tables, diagrams, graphs/charts, formulae...to express himself. Ryu did mathematical modeling and pairwise comparison.

I would like to be like Trifonova using simple stats for easy understanding. I would like to be like Ryu for his systematic flow of phases, and lots of tables, diagrams, graphs/charts.

No comments:

Post a Comment